Saturday 9 December 2017

Whispering greys ( 2)

So, this week I was trying to make the earlier grey paintings bigger. Tried canvas, I had two old 32 inch canvases spare. Massive differences painting on canvas than painting on board but need to try them over Christmas and into the New year.....I love painting on board but manhandling the bigger boards, 33 square inches is hard, they are heavy and bulky compared to the canvas. But my painting process is vigorous and the techniques I use will have to change. On the board, I can beat the paint into submission but not on the canvas....have to have a lighter touch.

Was also trying to smoothly blend the tones from dark to light. Herd, hard, hard. It's much easier to do this in oils .....but as artists we don't want easy. Eases boring.Mmm

These were the two canvases.


This was the first one.... You know these paintings come out as they come out, painted intuitively....I was supposed to be looking at greys but that didn't happen did it ? Although it came out similar to lots of other paintings I have made, I didn't dislike it....maybe just hold onto it for a while with a view to painting over it if needed. Or just live with it.....I like.....the composition, the contrast in tones, the watery ness of it. What could be improved.....we'll the transition between the light and dark tones.....that needs practice and research ( Richard Whadcocks tonal transitions come to mind ) these transitions are a little , ' jerky.' Try to make them smoother. Order some more canvases  then I will have lots to practice on over Christmas. 


This was the second one and did have many incarnations, although the final image ( final, for now ) looks smoother than the first, it took a long time to get there and it's niggling me now when I look at it displayed in the Art lounge ( back room. )
I like....the greys, the subtlety, a lot of the ,' making marks,' that happen in the painting process. Tonal contrasts were subtle.



I had wanted to paint two paintings to display together on the chimney breast. ' linked paintings.' Maybe these aren't the final ones but they are ok, for today. Try painting greys on the little 15 cm sq pieces that I love, see if hug at helps. Also research poetry and other grey landscapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment