Sunday 4 February 2018

Urban marks revisited ( 2 )

Tentative steps into the Urban marks this week. Wanted simple .....lines, colours, shapes, content/ composition. Fail then, because they came out as little pictures ! I don't mind them though and it is an example of how there is no controlling that creative spirit.....if it doesn't want to do simple lines, colours, shapes, composition then there's no way on Earth it will happen ! The pressures off though because I have undertaken to do an urban mark a day for the foreseeable to ,' loosen up,' or explore the subject comprehensively. Mmm can't wait.

Need to review what I have done under,' urban marks,' before.....do I title them ? Or number them ( research John Virtue, I loved the fact that he just numbered his London work...)

So, back to Daily painting, one of my special loves. This decision came from just reviewing where I was in different aspects of my work and reflecting on what I like to do best ( paint a lot.....it's fair enough )

The spiral symbol came to mind. It's the symbol of my own creative spirit, returning to certain areas of work with increased knowledge and ability each visit. So true.
Below. I am always on the lookout for tools to scratch into the paint. Christmas present was dental tools. I like them , the ends have different thicknesses and shapes to make marks with. Mmmm


This was the first of the week, and I collected the words as I painted....
There are a lot of horizontals and verticals in my Northern Landscapes.
You can't avoid what you see every day
The mills and chimneys are still a background to my world )
I like the paints dryer, I have less control....and for my way of working control is an absolute no no
The urban marks are more considered on the boxes 
The symbol of my creativity is a spiral
Bring in colour
But it's colourless at this time of the year
Look back at lines and grids
Look at Susan Laughtons work
There's no need to define every area of the picture plane....I like some space
Research Anna King for lightweight washes / glazes
Accuracy doesn't seem to have a major place in work
Doesn't feel as if I have had a good paint unless I've gone on a roll
Mix some light grey/ green ( not cream )










No comments:

Post a Comment